The privacy gained by lots of at least one acre, winding streets with mature trees, gracious mansions set well back from the curbless streets -- this is Atherton today.
Once part of a Spanish rancho, the town was incorporated in 1923. One of its first rules was to assure that lots would not be subdivided into parcels smaller than an acre. With a few exceptions -- primarily former San Mateo County streets acquired through annexation -- that is still the rule today.
A few of the early homes remain, including three built by Timothy Hopkins for his daughters between 1901 and 1908 on Parkwood Drive, Altree Court and Lowery Drive.
Click On A Neighborhood Below To Lean More About The Area:
OR Click On An Area Below To See Current Listings: